Blog Archive

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Surprise Care Package

I had a particularly exhausting day at work on Tuesday. Traffic was worse than usual and I slithered out of the car when I finally parked in front of the house. Dragging my knuckles like a caveman up the porch steps, I noticed a large manila envelope addressed to me sitting in front of the door. No return address. I didn't recognize the handwriting. I never get packages, so this threw me off a bit.

I tossed my keys, wallet and CD faceplate on the couch and ripped into the envelope. Dumping the contents onto the table, I knew exactly who it was from. Lynn's mother had sent me a care package for no particular reason.
  • various candies; Airheads, Bottle Caps, Jellybellys, Sour Punch Straws
  • a tiny wind up fishing game. Do you remember this??
  • a postcard with the cover of The Beatles' album "Rubber Soul". A funny coincidence, since she and I used to joke that we'd dance to "In My Life" during Lynn and my wedding.
  • random little knick knacks
The smell of the package made me nostalgic. It smelled exactly like Lynn's laundry detergent and the general smell of their house. I haven't smelt that in quite awhile. It was pretty strange, I'll have to admit.

It brought a smile to my face. I opened a Blow Pop and laughed at the situation... how often does an ex's mother send a care package to her daughter's ex-boyfriend?




----------------
Now playing: The Beatles - Norwegian Wood