Blog Archive

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Calm Before the Storm

A horse brays in a nearby field, stamps its hoofs and becomes restless.

A tree full of black birds erupts in a cacophony of sound as they take
to the sky, spooked by some mysterious force...

...The windmill on the old barn, creaks. Begins to move. Faster.

... two children playing marbles stop and look to the sky. A large shadow (too large to be ignored) looms over their intense game. They gather up what marbles they can carry and run. Two marbles bounce out of their chubby grasp.

... the family bloodhound, known for her quite temperament, wakes up from her nap on the front stoop and begins to snarl and bark at "nothing"

... chickens in the hen house and flapping their wings wildly.

...the old rusty barn door bangs shut and swings open again and again

...Suddenly the needle on the ol' phonograph skips off the last track
and the soft melodies come to a screeching halt. Only a dark, rhythmic
hiss comes from it's speaker as the record continues to go round and
round, unattended....

***
In a few days it'll be the dreaded "one year anniversary". Not of the actual break up, but if Lynn and I were still dating it would be 7 years.

I don't think anyone really knows when the exact date is; I mean who really pays attention that closely to these dates except for the people directly involved?

And I think I'm doing okay. At least right now. My habits haven't changed, I haven't lost any sleep or weight, I'm not looking at old pictures or listening to "our songs". These are all good things.

But I am finding myself thinking about her a little more than usual; I'd be lying to myself if I said otherwise. No contact in almost a year. I wonder how she's doing. I wonder if she'll be affected at all in the next few days or even the day of. I'm sure these are all normal things ex-couples dwell on around this time.

I guess we'll just have to see how it'll go down. With any luck, it'll just be another Saturday.