Blog Archive

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Going Solo is Awkward.

The UCLA hunnies drunk dialed me on Friday night asking if I wanted to gather "my boys" and join them for an old fashioned bbq on Sunday. I was pretty pumped about this and I told them I'd do my best to rally the troops.

Unfortunately none of my friends seem to fancy their company. As in, Leo has made is absolutely clear he won't hang out with them again. And he's horrible at faking polite.

So where does that leave me exactly? As much as I've tried to defend them, the rest of my friends cannot be swayed. "Come on!" I exclaim, "It's a new scene, free booze, free food, a chance to meet some new people, whaddya say fellas?" All the responses have been stone cold glares while I sit with a huge smile and my arms stretched out.

Sunday morning, my cell wakes me up and it's Lisa. She wants to know if I want to meet her and Anna for brunch in their neck of the woods. "Bottomless mimosas!" I agree to go. Fuck it, I should be able to hang out with them if I want, right?

As I'm walking out the door, I yell out to Leo "Alright buddy, last chance to catch the fun train!" His back facing me, focused on his monitor, he throws up an arm which I take for "Have fun. Close that door on your way out."

I have my tunes on, my sunroof is down, I'm about to turn onto the 110 and then I crank the wheel at the last minute. I can't do this. I can't show up to this barbecue by myself! I'm a pretty sociable person... once I've gotten to hang out with you a few times. I'm not quite there yet with these girls and the drive is an hour away, not counting Los Angeles traffic.

Would I have been a complete tool to show up at their place, alone, not knowing them extremely well and not having any idea who their friends are? I get the feeling I'd be considered a little too aggressive or desperate, that I have nothing else better to do (which, let's be honest, I don't).

So I u-turned and walked up my steps defeated. Leo laughed and I had to make a call to Lisa explaining, "Yeah, I'd love to go but I can't get a hold of any of my friends to go with me! Raincheck?"

I spent the rest of the afternoon doing absolutely nothing, a completely wasted Sunday. How am I going to be able to hang out with them again with the embargo set by all of my friends?? I absolutely hate that my social life is dictated by that and there's nothing I can do about it. Should I have gone or would that have been completely awkward and toolish?




----------------
Now playing: Jackson Browne - Running On Empty