Blog Archive

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Problem with my Wingman

I love Leo. I really do. We go way back to the hallways of our elementary school. We spent summers doing cannonballs off of his pool house into his pool. I took him out for his first strip club when he turned 18. 9/10 times if I'm having a shitty day, he'll have a 12 pack of Milwaukee's Best sitting on the kitchen table when I come home. If I'm strapped for cash at a bar, he'll tap me on the shoulder, throw a beer in my hand and continue with whatever conversation he was having.

But he's a horrible wingman.

He knows it (he might not admit it, but deep down he knows). I've given him shit for it. It's not his fault really. He just happens to be a good looking guy that a lot of girls happen to be big fans of. He's got that confident/cocky aura that draws them like these guys:



The only example I can think of at the moment is this past weekend (yeeeikes). I initially had an interest in Ann and I thought I at LEAST had a shot. But as soon as Leo enters the scene, it's over. She's all over him. But can you blame him? You can't make a girl think you're attractive.

I don't think that he's TRYING to flirt with these girls, I think that's just how he naturally is. How he always interacts with them.

I've been told, "You need to get a new Wingman." But what can you do? He's my friend, I couldn't ask for a better weekend warrior to kick it with. Stop hanging out with him because girls find him more attractive? Yeah, that's not going to happen. And if I really think about it, maybe these girls wouldn't even be hanging out if he wasn't in the picture.

* * *

I just looked up Wikipedia's entry on "wingman". I don't even want to post the entry; it's actually really douchey. I don't want him to have to hook up with an ugly girl so I "win" by default. However, there is one part I kind of like...
"The wingman is expected to back up the pilot, making comments that will make the pilot seem more attractive."
I highly doubt Leo goes as far to do anything like that.





----------------
Now playing: MXPX - Brokenhearted