Blog Archive

Monday, July 9, 2007

Some Alone Time and POOL HUNNIES!

Despite my spoiled evening with the geriatrics, I still had consumed enough alcohol to kill a small army. I woke up Sunday morning bug-eyed and dehydrated... the wave of Los Angeles heat pouring through my window didn't help my pathetic situation. After chugging an entire Britta filter full of water in my polar bear boxers, I thought about what my Sunday would consist of.

Leo is over seas. My other roommate Kevin was with his girlfriend. Going back to sleep was out of the question. Anyone who's anyone knows that the best cure for a hangover is a large bowl of pho. I don't normally enjoy eating alone, but I'll do it under desperate circumstances.

After slurping down a steaming bowl, I had to think of something else to do to pass the time. Distraction is absolutely key in my current situation. Otherwise your mind wanders and you start reflecting on the past and pretty soon you find yourself wearing skinny black jeans, sporting hot pink accessories, and crooning along to Avril Lavigne's "My Happy Ending". Heading home, I remember that I've driven past a forgotten family arcade center down this particular street. I haven't been to one since my Wonderland Nickel Arcade days, so I make the executive decision of "what the fuck" and pull a U-turn.

Entering the Family Arcade was like taking a step back in time. Flashing lights. Annoying midis blaring from each machine. A disgruntled employee is really pissed that I am asking for a 10, a 5, and 5 ones. I shaved off a couple hours more from my afternoon plugging quarters into Metal Slug and various pinball machines. But a call from my friend Veronica reminds me that maybe I should be spending the afternoon with other human beings. She's soaking up rays by the pool at her apartment and asks me to join her and some of our other friends.

Because the pool is at an apartment, it's your typical family scene. Restless kids doing cannonballs inches away from your peaceful wade. A couple of fat guys, wearing matching farmer's tans are flipping burgers and dogs. A group of friends across from our group of friends are lathering up. And one of the girls is pretty damn cute. Pulling my shades up, I scan the pool area and there is no obvious sign of a boyfriend.

And I think to myself... what could I possibly do in this situation? What is the next logical step to show this girl I have any interest? I turn to Veronica and share my interest in the petite asian in the white sun dress.

"Go talk to her."
"Like what? What should I say? Tell me some words in the English language that I could string together and not sound like a complete moron? What if a random guy came up to you right this minute and was interested in getting to know you more? What could he say to you right now that would be acceptable?"
"... damn. Good point."

So, like any other normal guy, I just admired from a far. But I think I bring up a good question, what is the next move? We're not at a bar, so I can't even order a couple shots to inject myself with some confidence? Do people ask for numbers anymore? Even if I did "get her number", I wouldn't even know what to say when I finally got the balls to call. It's in the middle of afternoon and she's out with her friends. Most girls, I'm assuming, wouldn't even want to be bothered by some creepy poolside dude.

Something to think about, I suppose.