Blog Archive

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Giving Your Number Takes "Cajones"??

Veronica shared with me an interesting experience she had over the weekend. She's an event coordinator and during a large event on Sunday, she got asked for her number... not once, not twice, but THRICE.

Now when I saw her, she wasn't wearing your typical, sexy get-up you tend to see on a night out. Stilettos were no where in sight and her two-prong was left unused. Her uniform to this event was a polo shirt, khaki shorts, and she was covered in sweat from the California sun.

We were both shocked at her obtaining three suitors in a single afternoon. What gave the first two guys the balls to do so? My theory was that they knew she was working (the uniform probably tipped them off) so that it's harder to turn down a guy when they are technically your customer. I predict a lot of waitresses get asked for their numbers.

The third guy (and the one she is most interested in), however, didn't ask for her number. He did another strategy, which I love and might mirror in the future. He had worked side by side with her all day and before leaving:

He gave his card to a friend of Veronica's and scribbled "call me".

The shocking part is, Veronica thought it was the BETTER than asking a girl for her number. I believe her actual adjective to describe it was "cute".

I like it, in that it puts the ball in the girl's court and gives her time to think about it, rather than putting her on the spot. It gives her the opportunity to reject you (by simply not calling) rather than blatantly to your face or lying about being engaged or whatever clever lines they come up with.

However, I would guess that most girls will say something along the lines of, "Oh, he had to give his card to a friend to give to me? He couldn't just come up and ask me for my number? What a pussy."

He got off pretty damn easy... he not only didn't ask her for HER number, but left his... and didn't even give his card to her directly, but through a mutual FRIEND. My guess is that girls want a guy to have the balls to put his nuts on the train rail.

But I've been known to be wrong from time to time.