Blog Archive

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Facebook Buddies


There are two websites that can wet the palate of any internet stalker: MySpace and Facebook. I can't tell you how many precious hours I have burned by clicking on profiles that lead me down the path of my friend's friend's coworker's sister's friend's ex-boyfriend's girlfriend's friend. These websites have turned ambitious, hardworking people into profile-craving zombies (me being one of them). But damn, it's fun.

Although I'm not guilty of doing this, I know for a fact that some guys will go through these searches and try to "poke" or add girls who are complete strangers as their friends just because they are hot. What the fuck is poking anyway? Facebook's way of saying "I think you're totally fuckable?" I doubt the guy to girl ratio on this is anywhere close to being equal.

So I was surprised this morning when I got a friend request from a totally random girl. I immediately thought, "Oh shit... did I meet this girl at a party when I was blacked out? Oh God. What did I say? Her and I don't have any friends in common, yet we both live in LA. Why the hell would she add me? I swear I'm usually good at remembering names..."

I write her a message, I can't let this go. I need to find out.
Hey,

At the risk of sounding like a complete moron, how do we know each other??
She responds minutes later:

Hi there,
lol, sorry no we havent met, but I saw your page so I thought I'd add you, hope you don't mind :-)
How are you?
<3
That's pretty random. Don't see that very often. But her "status" says that she is going to the Playboy Mansion for some kind of party this weekend. I better make friends fast! She must be well connected!

God I hate this town.