Blog Archive

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

My Brush with a "Famous" Girl


I don't have basic cable in LA. I'm too cheap and lazy to purchase bunny ears, so our house has never had it. Whenever I make a trip home, I soak in as much cable tv as I can stand (when I'm not out with friends). Lounging in my couch waiting for my cell to ring, I was channel surfing and my jaw suddenly dropped.

It was the end of the episode of VH1's Charm School and there was a dramatic scene with a very familiar face. The girl, Leleine (she might have had a nick name on the show, I think she was "Smiley" on Flava of Love) used to be a friend of mine during my first year in Los Angeles. She dated the manager at my restaurant and at the end of the evening when I'd count my tips, she'd sit and chat me up. A friendship blossomed.

I guess she liked me enough, because she would call me at random, random hours of the night. To ask me for advice about her life situation. She has 3 children (who I was introduced to, btw. sweet kids.) and would constantly seek my views on her loser boyfriend and all the drama that entailed. And that's the extent of our friendship. I'd get a phone call at 2 in the morning and I'd talk with her for the next hour or so, half asleep/half awake. I never knew what kind of advice to give her! Shit, I was only 22! What the fuck do I know about "life"?? But I felt bad for her and I did the best I could. She would spill her guts and I'd listen.

Everyone was convinced that she had something for me and still to this day I get, "Dude! Why didn't you hit that when you had a chance!?" Did I have a chance? Like I said, it was a really, really bizarre friendship, but I doubt I could have gotten anything out of it. Physically anyway. But damn, that would have been sweet. Besides, did I really have it in me to manipulate a trust like that? I would like to think otherwise.

Except for that one time when she brought me back a giant stuffed Pooh Bear from Disney Land because it reminded her of me. Why exactly? I'm not sure. I never even discussed Winnie or his adventures with her.

I haven't heard from good ol' Leilene for quite some time now. But apparently things are going well for her, as she is now an even bigger reality tv star. -shrug- Who knew?

Leilene, if you ever find this blog, holla at cho boy.