Blog Archive

Monday, July 16, 2007

Mt. Dew & Blink 182

It's weird what curve balls can be thrown at you at the most random moments. There are certain senses that can trigger your brain to pull up a library of very specific memories. Music and smell, especially. But rarely taste.

Battling Los Angeles traffic, I was suddenly struck with this intense thirst and only one drink would satisfy. Mountain Dew: Code Red. I have absolutely no idea where it came from. I haven't touched a Mountain Dew: Code Red since it's debut during my freshman year of college... and I used to guzzle it like it was going out of style.

Hitting the road with my 32 oz tucked between my legs, the radio played another song that brought on a wave of nostalgia to that very specific time. Blink 182's "The Rock Show". I almost dropped my red, bubbly beverage in complete shock. I wandered into some kind of time warp.

I was bitchslapped out of nowhere with this image: cruising through Vancouver in my black '97 Nissan pick up, windows rolled down because it was summer and the old Honey Wagon didn't have AC, taking sips and passing back & forth a bottle of Mt. Dew: Code Red, holding hands and singing along to "The Rock Show" with her.

It's weird what kind of curve balls get thrown at you.