Blog Archive

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Hail The New England Patriots...Or Not!


So The New England Patriots finished the season 16-0. I am not really a New England Patriots hater like some out there who must be stewing in their juices right now cursing Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Bill Belichik and anything New Englandish(?). I am really neutral when it comes to the Patriots unless, off course, they are playing against my beloved Dallas Cowboys. But I must confess that I didn't want them to be the first team since the 1972 Miami Dolphins to finish the regular season unbeaten with at least 14 wins. Wait. Well, let me be honest, hummmm. Nope. I am not really neutral. What it is is that my dislike for Belichik, Brady, Moss et al is not as virulent and intensely antagonistic as some folks out there. Whether you like them or not, you gotta hand it to 'em. They are a pretty impressive team on both sides of the ball. When I first tuned in, the New York Giants were playing inspired especially the defense. Tom Brady was getting chased around, harassed, blitzed and the Giants were leading 28 to 16 in the middle of the third quarter. I said to myself: Could it be? Is it possible? I already saw myself writing my blog entry title: "Hail the New York Giants slayers of Monsters and New England Patriots"...or something along those lines(Hey! I don't have a whole lot of imagination... ok?). But then Eli Manning's true colors came through and he threw an interception with his team just trailing by a field goal in the 4th quarter. The Patriots converted the turnover into a touchdown and a 10 point lead. Game over. To be sure it was not just Eli but blaming the quarterback is expedient. Bottom line? New England is 16-0. Damn perfect so far.