Tuesday, September 18, 2007

I'm Just Not That Into "He's Just Not That Into You"


There are certain times in my line of work where I need to deal with "celebrities" and today I had to do something indirectly for Greg Behrendt. For those of you who don't know Greg as a stand up comedian, you probably know him better as a writer for Sex & The City and the author of the book He's Just Not That Into You.

I suppose I can save another blog posting for everything I think is wrong about Sex & The City for some other time, but for now I'll focus on Greg's "self-help" phenomenon. I don't even know where to start on why I loathe the advice that book spews out.

Greg might be a nice guy. He might even have some good stand-up. But he seriously lacks in credentials when it comes to hundreds (maybe thousands) of girls like look to his book like the bible. A majority of girls I have met swear by this guy's view on relationships and it never really sat right with me.

I'll admit, I haven't had the stomach to sit through an entire reading, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt and read bits and pieces:
If a guy would rather have a guy's night than spend it with you; he's just not that into you.

If a guy doesn't speak his feelings for you or approach you first; he's just not that into you.
Really Greg? A guy can't have a guy's night? What happens if your best friend comes in from out of town and surprises you when you had plans to watch a movie with your girlfriend? What happens for guys who are extremely shy and have intense fears of rejection? Nothing is so black and white and I hate how that book dishes it out that way.

Girls, you really want to know how guys work? I'd recommend picking up Raising Cain by Michael Thompson and Dan Kindlon. Even though a majority of the book discusses more "troubled" boys; it provides great insight to why some guys just grow out of their immature stage, why it's hard for guys to express themselves 100% of the time, etc. etc. They're child psychologists. Doctors. Might have a little more weight to their analysis.
Find me a girl who thinks that He's Not That Into You is full of shit and I'll be happy.

As for doing that task for Greg; I feel like I sold out. I need a shower.