Blog Archive

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Giving Tree: A Glimpse Into My Twisted Mind?

Jack: What did you pick up at Barnes and Nobles again?
So@24: A book on Greek mythology, Aesop's fables, and The Giving Tree.
Jack: The Giving Tree is heartbreaking man.
So@24: It's fucking deep.
Jack: Makes me really sad. I hate the boy, selfish prick.
So@24: Did you know there have been some really intense debates about the meaning of that book? Some say the relationship is supposed to be that of a parent and a child: the parents always gives and the child always takes. The relationship is inevitable!
Jack: I almost don't want to know, it's such an intregal part of my childhood.
So@24: Damn. That tree gave so much.
So@24: I remember when I was little, I wondered if the tree was sexually interested in the little boy.
Jack: Wow. Really? How would that even work?
So@24: I have no idea.
Jack: You're a weird dude sometimes, So@24. I think about sex constantly, probably more than most people and I'm aware of that and "ok" with it. Sometimes I don't think you worry about it as much, then you say shit like that and I don't know what to think.
So@24: I often think the same.
Jack: This fascinates me.
So@24: I remember being a little boy and being ashamed I thought that. I sat in the corner in my Oshkosh B'gosh overalls and a single tear rolled down my cheek.
Jack: Dude! What do you think that means? Maybe that was formative part of how you view/treat women now.
So@24: Who can really say for sure?
Jack: You never know. I bet the Giving Tree is the root of all this. That's my new theory at least. Godspeed, Oshkosh.