Blog Archive

Friday, January 25, 2008

Chard and I Get Busy

... discussing my current dilemma.

But that would have been pretty sweet though. I mean, right? I mean... right?

It has been awhile since Chard and I grabbed a drink and she wanted to get the details on my developments with Beth. It's nice to get a point of view from someone who isn't directly involved with the circumstances; not to mention a point of view from a member of the opposite sex.

Chard suggests we meet for dinner at The Grove and as I'm trying to find my way through this enormous outdoor mall, I can't help but notice that this place was designed for couples. Little shops spattered around, a walking path that has little benches lining it, a giant water fountain that spurts up geysers of different patterns. My initial thought was, "Lynn would have definitely made this our stomping grounds."

I'm like this lone sea bass trying to swim upstream through this intense salmon run of couples holding hands. It's pouring down rain and I've forgotten my jacket. All these couples are pushing past me, huddling for warmth, guys covering their girlfriends with jackets.

Suck my balls, couples. Suck. My. Balls.

I'm running late. I pick up my pace and slosh through giant puddles causing my Chuck Taylor's to make that dreaded squishy noise.

Chard's at the bar and gives me a huge wave. She orders a chardonnay (what did you expect?) and I get the "large" beer. This means a mug the size of my head. Cheers!

So we get into it. For the record, Chard is one of the best listeners I've come across. I warned her that the ballad of So@24 and Beth would be long, treacherous and I rarely skimp on details. She was a real trooper and really took everything in.

The conclusion of our discussion, which I've been contemplating for quite sometime:

I need to get all this out. Starting from Day One. All the unspoken shit. Once and for all. We're going to meet at a crossroads and figure out what happens from there. Eye of the storm, baby.

Time to book me an impulse ticket to Portland, OR.