Blog Archive

Thursday, January 31, 2008

A Brain Fuckling Package


I got a package in my cube today. From my ol' pal Beth.

Inside were the following:
  • one of those journals that has been made out of an old vintage books. Really cool. This one in particular is titled The Mystery at Rustlers' Fort and on the cover is a cougar pouncing on a kid that looks like one of the Hardy Boys pointing a rifle at that mo fo (Who am I kidding? Back then, they all looked like Hardy Boys). It's fucking classic, trust me. Inside reads:
"It probably took you awhile to figure out that no this is not actually a book, but is a super dooper secret journal... for boys. I couldnt find a stick of gum, so please enjoy this strawberry cream Halls. It tastes like candy. You'll see. Here's a map of where I work and a sticker to entice you back to me.

Love you a million times always,
Beth"
  • A map of Portland, highlighting all the places we went to when I was in town.
  • A bumper sticker that reads, "Keep Portland WEIRD!" (we both think it's lame, so we laughed about it)
  • A piece of candy
If it was any other person, I'd say I was in. But I'm not quite sure what to think. And no, I'm not secretly sitting here giddily hoping that you'll all write to me with reassuring comments. That'd be really lame.

You also have to under stand that she's a carrot dangler. And it's brain fuckling* me. You could really take it one of two ways:
  1. Are you crazy? I say that to my friends all the time! You're reading too much into it.
  2. It's plain and obvious what's going on.
But after I opened the package, I sat back in my office swivel chair and took a moment to think about it.

It's a weird thing to receive these kinds of random knick knacks again, even though they might not be "anything" more than what they are. I never thought I'd get a package with random trinkets from anyone else besides Lynn (which was something her and I did a lot), but it actually feels "okay".

I suppose that means something.

...

Damn tickets to Portland are expensive.




* if you don't know what a brain fuckler is... please please please check it out.