Blog Archive

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

First Base Looks Pretty Good From Here

I'll save everyone the suspense and get right down to the juicy details of the evening...

If there were juicy details.

Yeah.

BUT, if there's any consolation for me stepping up to home plate, kicking the dust off my year-old cleats and pointing my bat a la' Babe Ruth... it's that the party was actually a lot of fun and I did give it the ol' college try. But instead of knocking off a legendary homer that was for the ages, I slid like Pete Rose right into first.

The atmosphere was perfect. The house was absolutely amazing; much better than I had anticipated. $700 worth of booze. A great view of The City of Angels spread out before us. Leo's party mix and the clamor of our guests were in perfect harmony. The weather was a bit chilly (we were in the hills), but the sporadic heat lamps eliminated that nuisance. And the soft glow of the outdoor pool provided an ambiance out of a movie.

I had shots to calm my jangled nerves. A lot of shots. Mostly whiskey.

The infamous countdown began. I got a kiss from Beth. I don't remember if it was anything to get too excited about or else I'm sure I would have remembered. Right? Memory gets a little fuzzy around here.

Fast forward to 4:00 in the morning. After Chad spent the last hour of the evening trying to herd Beth and I (we were laughing at him the entire time) in the guest bedroom, speaking in a Borat-esque accent, and shoving a crumbled blue Durex condom into my chest pocket... it was time to go home.

Veronica dropped us off at the house. I stripped down to my boxers and hopped into bed. Beth tossed on one of my hoodies from my U-13 soccer days. We shared an awkward "peck", she laid her head on my chest and we passed out.

Having her in Los Angeles for the weekend was a blast. It's comforting to know that I can at least share these weird/borderline couple actions with someone else. I figure that's gotta mean something.

Ahhhhh. 2008. A new year. I have the next 12 months in front of me to do my best to not make an ass out of myself. Here's to possibilities.


----------------
Now playing: Bad Religion - Sorrow