Blog Archive

Friday, February 15, 2008

Man Shoes

Although I've discussed my problem before with clothing, it came up again in conversation last night with one of my friends whom I haven't spoken to for quite sometime.

I have a terrible sense of style. All the clothes I own are purchased by my cousin Mimi. We have a sweet deal set up ever since high school. I throw her a couple hundred every couple of months, when she finds some great deal on some great clothes... she sends them down to me.

She likes to shop. I like to not look like a total tool in public arenas. It's win win.

It's a lot more difficult when she's not here to give me tips. I never know what to wear out for what occasion. Do I roll the sleeves up to my elbow or do I leave it rolled just before the wrist? See? Shit like this actually comes up! I have no fucking clue!

Conversation like this make my head spin and it's during this time I miss the comforts of having a girl with you who didn't give two shits what you wore.

I never had to worry about things like this before.

Melissa:
What are you even doing at work still on Valentine's Day? Shouldn't you be schmoozing Hollywood style? I imagine you in a suit holding a champagne flute!
So@24: Hahaha! Not quite.
Melissa: How do you dress? I really think it's knowing what you got and dressing right for your height! Makes a big difference.
Melissa: Do you have good shoes?
So@24: Shoes?? Um... I have my Chuck Taylors?
Melissa: Those are good for casual or work, but what about "man shoes" for going out?
So@24: Oh no. I guess I don't have any good shoes. Does it really make a difference?
Melissa: Well it helps and of course the rest of the outfit. Do you have a blazer?
So@24: A blazer?? What the fuck. Where do all these rules come from!?
Melissa: These are basic attractive man qualities. At least for first impressions.
So@24: I think if I wore a blazer and nice shoes, I'd look like a ventriloquist dummy.

Tool.

Melissa: Well So@24, they have to fit you right and obviously you have to feel good in them.
So@24: Ho boy.
Melissa: Good shoes are key. With a blazer. You'll look like a grown up.
Melissa: And you can even wear a fun graphic tee under the blazer, just as long as it's not too cheesy. And I stress this... it HAS to fit you right! Could you wear something like this?
So@24: I'd feel embarrassed that I was trying so hard to look cool. But I guess if that's what it takes these days... I gotta sacrifice the pride.
Melissa: Girls will look at you differently if you put a little effort into it. Try this one too.
So@24: You've certainly given me lots to think about.
Melissa: Just ideas! That's all, nothing to take too seriously.