Blog Archive

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Filling in That Blank Spot

I got an unexpected email from Lynn yesterday morning:
Just letting you know that I've made good on your painting that I promised you. But, you get it for your birthday so you'll have to wait! It's a small painting, like 12 x 16 maybe? But yeah, I like it alot and so you should feel honored that I am willing to part with it and give it to you :)

Thanks SO SO SO much for your help! I really appreciate it, and I know you helped me tweak them a lot for the better. I will keep you posted on what happens next.

Hope you had a good weekend.

- L
Lynn is applying for grad schools and I offered to look over her essays a few months ago. She has never been the strongest writer, so I actually used to do this for her all the time both in high school and college. I tweaked them, added notes, and sent them back to her. It was no big deal, I was happy to help.

Last night, as I tucked a bookmark into my Greek mythology book, I looked around my bedroom for a place to put this painting.

There's a blank spot on my wall, right above my television, where a Spirited Away poster once occupied. You can still see the tacs in the wall that held it in place, with pieces of the corners of the poster still stuck underneath.

Most couples find something that's "theirs": a band, a song, a movie, a restaurant, etc. Miyazaki movies, especially this one in particular, was ours. I haven't watched them any of them since and I can be honest with myself when I say that I still don't think I'm quite ready to.

One night, when I staggered home from the bars wasted off my pathetic ass, I ripped down that poster while a dangerous mixture of whiskey, anger and emo-ness brewed in me. I didn't want to be reminded of it or of her and that poster wasn't helping. It was coming down.

But as I sat in bed last night staring at that blank spot on my wall, I thought that this would be a perfect spot for her painting. I'm in a different place now. And it feels good.