Blog Archive

Friday, February 22, 2008

"This isn't Leo"

Swilling beers last night, I scrolled through my cellphone to look for people I might have missed inviting to the kegger we're hosting on Saturday.

I came across a couple of names, whom I haven't seen for quite sometime.

You remember them, right? See? Of course you do!

I sent them both a text, "Long time no see! You guys interested in a reunion on Saturday??"

A few seconds later, my cellphone was buzzing around on my beer-soaked hardwood floor.

"Very interested! We miss you guys!"

Then, a few minutes later, an unexpected phone call from this girl. I can tell I'm going to have to yell for this conversation, she's in a bar or some party where the booze is flowing.

So@24: Hey! So you're coming on Saturday!
Ann: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yes! I fucking can't wait. ... No no no, put it on my card. Put it on my card.

Jesus. She's smashed. Why am I not surprised? ... Awesome!

So@24: Can't wait to see you guys, it's been too long.
Ann: Is this the cutie??

What the fuck? Cutie? This is unexpected. Ohhhh, I see the mistake here.

So@24: Leo? You must mean Leo! This is So@24!
Ann: I know who this is! The CUTIE! ... don't take my drink, I'm still drinking it.
So@24: This isn't Leo! You're talking about L-E-O!
Ann: I'm talking about the cute boy! I know who I'm talking to. Don't you think I know that I'm talking to a cute boy?
So@24: Right. Hey, I'll give you a call tomorrow to give you the details!

I hang up trying to hide my smile. It's comforting to know some things never changed. That girl was shitfaced on a Thursday.

Leo: Who the fuck was that?
So@24: No one. Don't worry about it.