Blog Archive

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Leo and Jack Talk V Day

This gChat conversation was too good not to post. It was one between my roommate Leo and my friend Jack.

Although this isn't MY take on Valentine's Day, it does fit the theme for the blog because it IS an insight to a single male's mentality re: this very coupley day.

A different spin on things from a (very) different perspective.

Enjoy.

* * *

Jack: I'm serious, I'm not going out tonight. I got home at 3:00 last night, I feel like a meth addict.
Leo: I wanted to talk to you about that...

-walks over to sidetable, picks up crystal tumbler of whiskey-

Drink?
Alrighty then.
Jack: -coughs into fist-
-notes blood-
Leo: You know what I love about Valentine's Day? I'll tell you what I love about Valentine's Day. The total and utter lack of Valentines.
Jack: -turns to audience "Here we go folks" -
Leo: I love that it's perhaps the most volatile day for singles... the crushing expectations, the relentless reminder that you. are. alone. It does odd things to people-- the meek are emboldened, the demure turn debaucherous. Wanton hedonism spurned on by the pressures of a love-lorn holiday.

Girls by the bushel looking to find solace with an intriguing stranger... some kind of proxy for what this day reminds them they lack.

-sips whiskey-
-stares out window at setting sun, eyes narrow, smile creeps across face-

[in a whisper] Come sundown, they'll be out in droves. Seeping out across the city like a wonderful plague.

-looks down into glass-
You get your rest now, Clarice. Fly fly fly... ... fly fly fly...