Blog Archive

Monday, February 25, 2008

Lunch with Lynn

I wake up on Sunday morning in a sweaty panic and immediately reached for my phone. A text from Lynn:

"I'm running a little late, I'll be there at 1:00".

Whew. That gives me time to scrub the hangover off me.

The party before was a big success. Nothing really noteworthy took place. Except I think I tried to hit on a girl by telling her over and over again, "You totally look like Lisa Loeb." Smooth, So, smooth.

Chicks love that shit.

I start to clean the destruction from the party and check my watch about 100Xs waiting for her arrival.

As I'm carrying a pitcher full of left over beer, a familiar face shines in the doorway.

Lynn hands me my painting and we hug. I give her the grand tour of the house (she had never seen it since I moved), she pops into Leo's room and says "hello".

"He hasn't changed a bit," she smiles.

We're both starving and we drive to The Alcove, one of my favorite places for Sunday lunch. An outdoor cafe with sandwiches, soups, etc. We grab a table outside and start catching up. There is never an awkward pause and we laugh and joke just like we always used to. She reaches over to pick some fries off my plate and I instinctively grab some of her orange juice. It's like nothing has changed.

So Alcovey.

But a wind eventually picks up and soon the heat lamps aren't doing a damn thing. We decide to head back to the house. I'm surprised that she wants to stay instead of just take off. So we sit in the living room (her on one couch, I'm on another) and I show her some new songs I've been wanting to show her.

"I'm really glad we can do this. Is it weird?"
"No, not as much as you think it would be. I'm really happy we can do this too."

But at some point we talk about what it's like to be single and the weirdness. It's almost as if I'm coaching her on what it's like and how to survive it. If you were have told me a year ago I'd be in this position, I would have told you to fuck yourself. The passage of time really has an amazing impact.

Leo, Michael, Paxton, and Veronica all came back from lunch and joined us in the living room. Again, I thought that Lynn would be uncomfortable and leave, but she stuck around and braved the unusual circumstances like a champ. I moved and sat next to her to make room for everyone.

The act of sitting next to her on a couch gave me a funny feeling. Normally, I would have just pulled her next to me, or held her hand, or something else along those lines. The best way I can describe the afternoon was being conscious and fighting off those instincts. I think I actually folded my hands in my lap.

She had a long drive ahead of her and some things to take care of, so she got up and had to go. I lead her outside, we hugged and I told her how to get back to the freeway.

Leo: I think that you're at a point where nostalgia has worn off, and while you certainly feel the pang for someone to lie next to (don't we all), I think she is no longer "that someone" on your mind. Long and the short -- clear sailing ahead... the storm has finally dipped below the horizon behind you. Out of sight.