Blog Archive

Monday, August 18, 2008

SM Looking for SWF err... Roommate

With Leo taking off for his adventure overseas in a few weeks and Leroy moving in with his girlfriend, I needed to find a new place to live.

And fast.

What better place to go than to turn to everyone's favorite roommate search site... ye olde' Craigslist.

I know that I want to live with girls. As I've mentioned before, before I moved to Los Angeles, 90% of my friends were female in college (big fucking surprise, I'm sure). Besides, girl roommates must have GIRL FRIENDS right?? Yep, my mind immediately went to that... not gonna lie.

Scouring the "Roommate Wanted" section, I found a few promising ads. I smirked, cracked my knuckles and pounded out an email within a few short minutes.

And then I read what I had written. And then panicked.

How do you respond to a "roommate wanted" ad to girls (as a male) and not have it sound like a Singles Ad? What I had just written is EXACTLY something I'd write if I ever went down the path of online dating.

No matter what, you come out as sounding really awkward. But then again, it's Craigslist. Hell, I might as well write, "I promise to never try on your undies when you are out" and I'd come off as Prince Charming.

At some point when writing these things, you have to just bite the bullet and hit "Send" without second guessing yourself.

Here is the final product. If any girl responds to this, it'll be a goddamn miracle.

Hello there 2 professional, hard-working girls in their 20's!

Just came across your ad on Craigslist and it looks absolutely ideal. I am currently living in Korea Town with two of my friends, but alas... the band is splitting up and therefore I am looking to move around September.

I am a 25 year old male and I am a {names some dope ass job where it sounds like I make a lot of money} working at {names some dope ass company that makes me look like I have social status}. It's difficult to go about this and not sound like a response to a Singles Ad, but I'm a college grad with a BA from the University of Washington and have been living in Los Angeles for 3 years. I don't do drugs, but I do socially drink. I don't own a single animal.

The location, price and arrangement sounds perfect for what I'm looking for. I'd love to hear back from you both! And if you'd like, feel free to contact me if you'd like to get a better sense of who I am via my facebook or something (sigh).

Best,
So@24