Blog Archive

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Where To Meet The Next One

Riding my bike on my way to work this morning, I saw a cute little blond girl walking on the bike path.

I can't pinpoint exactly when this mindset evolved with me, but there came a point where I became convinced I'm going to meet that "next girl" at very specific locations in my life. Maybe this is where that cliche' of meeting someone in the vegetable section in a grocery store stems from?

There's this single guy instinct in me that thinks that this bike path from my condo to work is going to be "that" next place. Before it was this outdoor restaurant in Los Feliz. I think that singlelites of both sexes believe that there's some specific location in their lives where this will happen. There ALWAYS has to be "a place".

But now it's this bike path! I just know it!

So I keep an eye out for those who are walking their dogs and going for walks. This blond in particular looked like she was on her way to work. Cute head band, the ever-fashionable, buggy Los Angeles sunglasses, cute freckles.

Maybe I'll see her again tomorrow. I've already played it out in my head. I'll be so charmingly befuddled by her good looks (a la' Hugh Grant in every movie role he's ever done) that I'll lose control of my bike and crash into a tree. She'll drop her purse, toss away her pink iPod earphones and crouch next to my crumpled body to see if I'm okay. She'll find it adorable. We'll set up a date and the rest is history.

It's only after I passed her that I realized I have on the Most Unattractive Article You Can Put On The Human Body: the bike helmet.

Maybe I can compensate next time by putting a playing card in my spokes and making it sound like a badass road hog.