Blog Archive

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Fireside Friday Strikes Back!




Welcome to the 3rd edition of Fireside Friday.

The in-your-face entry with so much goddamn action, I might actually pee myself.

...

For those of you who aren't familiar with Fireside Friday, I basically open the forum up to any burning questions that you may have. And then I post them here.

I only got 4 this round, which if fine because these entries are so long they usually put Tolstoy to sleep.

Let's begin, shall we?



Laura asks...

"I've got a Fireside Friday question for you, if it isn't too late (my
genius ass thought of this on the way home yesterday and didn't get around to writing it until now) Are you worried that one day you're going to get "outed"? (Note: Valley Girl and Martini got "outed" and now their blogs are gone) If so, are there any precautions that you're taking to minimize the chances of that happening?"


Ah yes. The demise of the blogger. That seems to be the trend recently; that anonymous bloggers have been "discovered", you check your blog roll... and suddenly, these mo fo's have peaced the fuck out.

This won't happen to me. And lemme tell you why. The stories I share are ones that I'm usually telling all my friends about anyway. The only reason my blog is anonymous is because I wanted to respect the anonymity of the people I wrote about; my ex girlfriend being the one I was most worried about.

However, Lynn discovered it through completely random circumstances out of my control and we discussed it. What she read, she liked (except for this post) and actually admitted, "I would have been an avid reader, if it didn't involve me!"

Dizzy Observer asks...

What happens after you have found the girl you have been looking for? No more blogging?


Not necessarily. I still think there are interesting observations that can come out of being in only the SECOND relationship I'll have been in this late in the game.

Because in the second relationship, I'll be experiencing so many of the same things I did with Lynn for the first time with someone new. Make sense? I think my head's spinning.

That isn't to say that when those stories get old, I'll probably take the ol' girl out back and she'll go the way of Old Yeller. Because who likes to read a blog where all you do is gush over your significant other on every fucking entry? It's the equivalent of those shitty goth kids who made out in the hallways during passing time in middle school.


Blinds asks...
Did you ever think of proposing to Lynn? How far into the marriage talk did you guys get?

Her and I did talk about it. I think you have to after 6 years or else... what the funky buttlovin' are you doing? We were actually pretty mature about it: both knew that we wanted to wait until we were both finished with school. Both were aware of the statistics of the divorce rate in the United States. Both knew that each year you wait, you increase your chances of a successful marriage. We both knew that we still were too young and had a lot of growing up to do.

But yes, we discussed it and we thought that it would one day be reality. I used to joke that my Vietnamese father would force her to wear an ao dai on our wedding day. And there are still times I think that it's weird that it's not going to happen, because at the time it was so "matter-of-factly".

It's a good thing we didn't, eh?

My dickhead friend Jack asks:

Please comment on/rebuke the possibility that you've allowed "heart broken guy who got dumped by his only girlfriend" to become your dating identity, enabling you to use it as a convenient crutch/excuse for being overly discriminate and not really putting yourself out there, especially though cop-outs like "I have no experience/game".

Oh little Jacky. Yousonofabitch.

Ask anyone, even those who knew me before I started dating Lynn, I'm very picky about who I like. Physically, personality... yeah, being more lenient on these things would probably allow me to date more. However, I don't see this as a flaw.

But why waste my time? Why waste their time?

You can't help what/who you like. If I know I can't sit through an entire episode of the Gilmore Girls, why would I ever want to go and buy the special edition, DVD box set with behind the scenes interviews and 3 hours of extra-never-before-seen-footage? Why should I pursue a girl just for the sake of getting a notch on my belt? Some people may have this buckshot mentality, but brotha... it ain't me.

And the issue of "putting myself out there"... what does this mean? Like talking to random girls at bars? Ever consider that it just might be a matter of personality differences.

Can't a guy just be shy? Does every guy have to approach dating the same way as you? Check this out. I'm not saying it's me exactly or anything CLOSE, but you have to admit there are some interesting elements wouldn't you say?





Kind of a more serious edition of Fireside Friday, but there you have it.

I'm gonna go get tanked tonight. Hopefully that'll provide some better blogging for next week.

Drink one for me this weekend!

- So@24